Jewelry holds a special place in our hearts and lives. Whether it's a family heirloom passed down through generations or a stunning piece acquired to mark a significant milestone, jewelry often carries sentimental and monetary value.
However, understanding the true worth of your jewelry can be a complex task. That's where jewelry appraisal comes in—a process that unravels the mysteries and unveils the hidden value of your precious treasures.
And did you know that Perry’s has an expert appraiser on staff that has even been contacted by both the DEA and the Department of Homeland Security because of her expertise?
Meet Jennifer MacLeod. Jennifer has been involved in the grading and appraisal of fine and antique jewelry, gemstones and watches since 1995. She earned her Graduate Gemologist and Graduate Pearls diplomas from the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) in 2001, and a degree in Geology from the University of South Alabama in 2009.
In addition, Jennifer is now a Fellow of The Gemmological Association of Great Britain (GEM-A) and is an active member in numerous industry organizations, including Jewelers of America (JA), the GIA Alumni Association, the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers (NAJA), and the American Society of Jewelry Historians (ASJH).
Jennifer is currently the head of Perry’s appraisal department where she handles appraisals of fine, antique and estate jewelry. Her clients include local and national attorneys, banks, and businesses, as well as individuals.
Now, here’s a bit more about why appraisals are important, why having an expert is key and what an appraisal will do for you.
1. Understanding Jewelry Appraisal
Jewelry appraisal is the professional assessment of a piece of jewelry's worth, taking into account its quality, craftsmanship, materials, and market value.
It involves the expertise of a qualified appraiser who carefully examines and evaluates various aspects of the jewelry, such as gemstones, metals, design, and historical significance.
Appraisals provide valuable information to owners, buyers, insurers, and even estate planners.
2. What’s the process?
During your Perry’s jewelry appraisal, our expert appraiser will conduct a thorough examination of the piece, employing a combination of visual inspection, gemological testing, and research.
The process typically includes assessing factors like the quality and characteristics of gemstones, the purity and weight of precious metals, the craftsmanship and design, and any historical or cultural significance.
Then, the appraiser will compile a detailed report that includes a description of the jewelry, its estimated value, and any supporting documentation or photographs.
3. Benefits of Jewelry Appraisal
- Accurate Insurance Coverage: Jewelry appraisal plays a crucial role in determining the appropriate insurance coverage for your precious items. By knowing the accurate value of your jewelry, you can ensure it is adequately protected against loss, theft, or damage. In the event of a claim, the appraisal report serves as documented proof of the item's worth.
- Estate Planning and Probate: Jewelry appraisal is essential for estate planning and probate purposes. It helps in accurately valuing and distributing jewelry among heirs, minimizing potential conflicts or confusion. Appraisal reports can also assist with tax calculations and ensure a fair distribution of assets.
- Buying and Selling Jewelry: Whether you're a buyer or seller, jewelry appraisal is essential to make informed decisions. As a buyer, you can rely on appraisals to verify the authenticity and value of a piece before making a purchase. Sellers can use appraisal reports to set realistic prices, substantiate their asking price, and attract potential buyers with confidence.
- Peace of Mind: Perhaps one of the most significant benefits of jewelry appraisal is the peace of mind it brings. Knowing the true value of your jewelry allows you to enjoy it without concerns about its authenticity or being underinsured. It also helps avoid surprises or disputes in the future, protecting both your sentimental and financial investments.
Jewelry appraisal is a vital process that unlocks the true value of your precious pieces. By engaging a qualified appraiser, you can gain valuable insights into your jewelry's quality, authenticity, and worth.
Appraisals provide accurate documentation for insurance purposes, aid in estate planning, and help both buyers and sellers make informed decisions.
So, whether you have a cherished family heirloom or are considering purchasing a new piece, don't overlook the importance of jewelry appraisal by an expert at Perry’s —it's the key to understanding the true value of your sparkling treasures.